ERCOT has asked to help conserve during peak hours (3-7 pm) TODAY and each day during the summer months.
Let’s do our part to conserve. How can you help?
Here are 9 Easy Ways to help conserve and beat the peak:
1. Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher.
2. Keep your blinds and curtains closed. When sunlight streams into your home, so does the heat. Close the blinds so your AC doesn’t have to work as hard to cool your home.
3. Cook outside instead of using the oven. When the weather is nice, fire up the grill and cook your dinner outside to avoid heating your home with an oven.
4. Use small appliances, such as a slow cooker, microwave or toaster oven. These use less energy and produce less heat than your oven.
5. Turn down your hot water heater to 120 degrees. Many are preset to a scalding 140 degrees, which wastes energy.
6. Avoid taking showers or baths during peak demand hours (between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.).
7. Run appliances, such as your washer, dryer or dishwasher, in the morning or at night before you go to bed.
8. Unplug unused electronics. Simply switching a device “off” isn’t always enough. Many still drain power from the outlet if they are plugged in.
9. Get outside. Avoid using electricity altogether by leaving your home. Take a trip to the beach, head to the nearest pool, visit the local library or go to the movies.